View Single Post
      07-13-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
em koop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Yes, I do understand that to max your acceleration that you dont want to upshift too early, because as you say, the revs will be below 4500 by the time you complete the upshift, so it wont pull as hard as it could. If you want the best 1/4 mile time, shifting closer to the redline is in order.

Road course lapping is bit different I think... at times my instructor was basically suggesting that I should be milking the 7900 redline for all it's worth, and hold lower gears longer instead upshifting/downshifting.

I guess the real question is, I know the S54 makes less torque at 7500 than 5000, but if I'm in 3rd instead of 4th, does the extra acceleration due to the ratio of the lower gear more than compensate for the lower torque due to higher revs?

I guess I was hoping that some hardcore track rat with data acquisiton gear could provide proof that 7500 in 3rd pulls harder than 5000 in 4th (or prove it doesnt...)

Of course, engine life and $$$ is a concern, so I dont drive every single lap as though I'm going for a formula 1 pole position, but it's interesting theory to me.

Thanks !
Appreciate 0