View Single Post
      10-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
The difference between the E46 and Z4M diff will be minimal on track compared to the difference the 4:10 gearing will make. Since both are clutch type, they will behave similarly. And the clutch style diff is meant for track use.
Both the z4m and e46 M3 don't have 'clutch style LSD's'

Yes they do have a clutch pack, but a 'clutch style LSD' as referred to in the colloquial language is a 'Salisbury' or 'Ramp style' LSD, whereas the diff in the Z4m and E46 M3 is a 'gerotor pump' style LSD (although it doesn't have a gerotor pump but that's another discussion)

The gerotor pump LSD and ramp style LSD have completely different fundamental workings.
The ramp style LSD is torque actuated whereas the gerotor pump LSD is speed differential actuated. So how and when they lock up differ greatly.
The gerotor pump LSD only locks up if it sees a speed difference between the left and right axle, so for instance when one wheel slips.
The ramp style LSD locks up the moment when power is applied. So when you open the throttle. The more throttle you give, the more it locks up.
This is the type of LSD mostly used in motorsports.
Different ramp angles determine the power of the lock up and whether lockup is also needed under braking.
So for a track car this is I think the best config. Unless driven in the rain maybe.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0