View Single Post
      12-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #25
GMSZ4M
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
You are going to install an autozone alternator on your z4m?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
That's an interesting question.
At first blush, I was going to jump in here and say Nooooo! Don't do it!
I put a lot of AutoZone parts on my Suburban, many of which are very substandard, and I regret later. Sometimes it's good enough.

Here's the tricky bit:
Is there a difference between this and this, except the obvious double price?
Serious question. Hmmm.

$495.26 from Tischer. Also rebuilt.
Without knowing the reputations of the rebuilders, this is a total crap-shoot.

It came with a lifetime guarantee so figured it couldn't be that bad. A little research showed I couldn't be further away from the truth, and these fail consistently every year or two.

Anyway, since I'm dealing with overcharging and voltage increase, seems like the voltage regulator has gone bad. So the new plan is to replace the voltage regulator with an OEM, and I should be good. Should cost in the neighborhood of $130

EDIT: BMW Parts Pro has informed me that BMW no longer sells the voltage regulator separately, which is BS. Any recommendations to buy OEM Voltage Regulator?

Edit 2:

Update to anyone who may find themselves in this same situation.

Found out my original BMW Alternator is Valeo TG15C098.

BMW would not see the part by itself. While searching I somehow landed on a Valeo supplier called American Engines Co based out of NY. They also have a eBay store and ship internationally.

You can pick up OEM Alternator or Voltage regulator with them for half the price BMW sells it at. Same stuff just not branded BMW. I ended up picking this up. Cost $68 + $8 USPS Priority Shipping.

They also said if this didn't work and I needed to pick up the alternator, they would refund the price of the voltage regulator. Spoke to a super helpful guy named Ben. Call them at +1-920-543-6446 if you have any questions.

Last edited by GMSZ4M; 12-05-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0