T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
But it's not bearing failure that's the problem. The electronics died on mine at 70,000 and 43 miles from home. It was also my daily. Had to barrow a car until I could get the parts and replace. My old commute was 43 miles each way.

Back then money was tight and workshop fees were not an option.

This was on the E85 that has better airflow in the engine bay. Drove the on the replacement pump for another five years or 130k before trading up cars.

Funny enough, I had my E89 for three days and the water pump failed. Yep 32,000 miles and 4 years old. Extended warranty covered the towing pump and loaner.

I don't normally believe in replacing good parts, I was simply advocating risk evaluation.
I used to work for a German shop before college and out of 30 WP installs there was a time I replaced a water pump with bad electronics it had about 76k and it happens no doubt the coolant got into the electrical area. No one really knows when things go bad just like your water pump going out at 32k.

I guess we'll find out soon enough if the OP will have the time or money to install or take it to the shop.

Was your E89 Manual or auto? I looked online the new Z4 will only be offered in auto. Auto is nice but two of my cars are auto, a 6sp manual Z4 would be nice.
Appreciate 0