05-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #11
Azeka1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
Interesting insight. I have heard it is better to have traction off, as the car behaves more predictably in a slide.

FWIW, I have done 3.5 years worth of autocrosses before (roughly 45 events), plus a couple car control clinics hosted by the local BMWCCA which included both wet and dry skidpads, as well as several years of winter driving/snow skid pads in my Z4. I have had a few spins and controlled slides in ax events as well as snow driving and believe I have a good sense and ability to recognize when the car is approaching the limit of grip. My driving style tends to be a little less aggressive than the top autocrossers in my region at the start, and ramp up aggression as appropriate.

Will try it both ways though this Saturday!
It's great that you already have some experience and might already have quick hands. That will come in handy in a slide but keep in mind that smooth and slow hands are going to be the key on a bigger track.

My opinion - and certainly everyone has their own on this topic - is to leave traction control on until you can sense and predict exactly when it will kick in. Try to learn to drive as smooth as possible at the limit of the traction control system. Doing so will pay dividends in the future once you build up to turning it off.

Also considering you will have an instructor in the car, keeping it turned on may be their preference anyway. Have fun and report back after the weekend with how it went!
1995 E36 M3 | BMW CCA Club Racer - IP #34 | Gray / Blue / Orange | 261WHP | 2,700lbs
2013 E92 M3 Competition 6MT Slick Top | AW / Fox Red |
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage
Gone: 2017 Audi Q7 | 2011 E93 328i 6MT | 2014 Audi A6 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe | SW20 MR2 Widebody Turbo
Appreciate 1
jns_e8574.00