View Single Post
      12-21-2020, 03:08 AM   #52
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
I'm not on any of you guys' teams, but remember Ferrari was getting away with running more fuel than allowed, i.e. The monitoring and regulating failed to stop them. So, I would have to call naivete on assuming those regs can't be beaten somehow by the extreme technological talent available.
its a bit different than that.. first of all one is oil the other is fuel.. lets keep this aside.. cause 0.3L/100km is already too low to benefit from.. thats why we hear such things like thermal efficiency.. basically making an engine that squeeze more power.. its like 50% on Merc' F1 engine and on Project One its over 40%.. = more power without the need burning off oil..

fuel is limited up 110kg but during the race lift and coast gives quite nice fuel economy that teams can compensate even if there is no SC, VSC or rain.. and of course engine maps were allowed last year as well so it was even easier than now..

Ferrari tricked the monitoring part by lowering the "low peak" of fuel pump so they can increase high peak fuel flow (higher on straights for more power).. and in total it was still 100kg/h..

in 2019 Ferrari had a chance to manipulate that fuel pump that FIA monitors like this.. in 2020 FIA added another fuel pump monitor that monitors the flow.. so teams high pressure pump goes through that FFM and then it goes to engine eventually.. and that FFM uses uses encryption and anti-aliasing technology and at the same time it takes random sampling.. means from low peak or high peaks anytime.. that way average of the flow cant be tricked easily like it used to be..

moreover that part is wired independently and sends these codes to FIA's SDR in the car.. so teams cant see what and how many signals FIA FFM gathers.. literally makes teams blind in that part..

here is a simplified version of the system and how it looks now..

there is a chance of "more" on everything less or more.. but for tires for example.. if they werent monitored that well teams could go to that side as well.. but FIA keeps track of each tire..

so all in all.. that area is not very very limited.. teams go in different direction to find time.. and the smart one is increase thermal efficiency and its durability which Merc' did..
Attached Images

minn1914021.00