01-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #15
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Matt, what did the Lang boys tell you about running in on the new bearings? and how many miles?

Mine is about done now and need to go and get my oil changed/inspected. Ive kept her pretty much below 4k when warmed up.. and now i am properly warming her up before any movement above 3k. and i let her cool down a bit too before shutting it down.. Good habits to get into. The cool down for me is pretty much the last 15kms on the way home, taking it very, very easy..
Definitely good habits to get into! Warming up my cars before driving above a certain RPM is something I'm probably too cautious of. I'm *very* anal about making sure all fluids (including transmission/diff) are to proper temp before getting on it.

Since rod bearings are technically a "no-contact" part, most say no break in is actually required. When BMW had the rod bearing recall on the earlier E46 M3s they advised a "break-in" of 1200 miles, but many think it was just to really ensure everything was put back together properly and torqued to spec. If someone reading this is really curious on the subject you can google rod bearing break-in M3 or E46 and you should come up with a number of S54 rod bearing break-in related threads.

That all said, paranoid me kept it below 3500 RPM for about 200mi then let all hell break loose

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0