View Single Post
      09-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #234
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

18" Volk G2's + Nitto NT05's

VOLK Racing G2’s:

For Track use I started looking for an 18” set-up. I decided on matte black Volk Racing G2’s. These are the same wheels the BMW Rahal Letterman Racing Team is using in the ALMS series. Part of my decision was based on the fact that I am an ALMS fan. I meet up with friends and family every year to attend the ALMS race @ Laguna Seca and always spend hours in the paddock geeking out over all the details of the race cars.

I found the best price with Jon Guerra @ Vivid Racing once again.

Pros:
1. The G2’s are lightweight and strong.
2. The G2’s are designed for maximum brake clearance (should clear 380mm. I’m running 355mm all the way around).
3. The same wheels used by The Rahal Letterman Racing on their M3.
4. Running 18’s yielded better tire options for track use.

Cons:
1. I miss the look of the 19” TE37’s. In the words of one of my friends who is also a car enthusiast “…they looked godly.”

Nitto NT05’s:

The Hankooks were perfect for multi use, but I decided to go with more track oriented tire. The extra grip would be at the expense of shorter tread life. Because I would still be tacking the car on long road trips, I narrowed my focus down to two tires that had received rave reviews for performing like r-comp tires but with better tread life. It was going to be the Advan Neova AD08 or the Nitto NT05’s. I ended up choosing the NT05’s because of price and size availability. I had also run these before and really enjoyed them, so I knew there would be no surprises. I still want to give the AD08’s a shot next time around.

Pros:
1. Improved grip. A better match to the clubsports at their stiffest settings.
2. About $300 less per set than the best price I was able to find on the AD08’s.
3. Similar performance to R-comps, but with longer tread life.

Cons:
1. Shorted tread life multi use tires like the PS2’s and the Hankook Evo V12’s.
2. Improved ride comfort compared to 19's.

Specs:

Front wheels: 18x8.5 et 35
Rear wheels: 18x9.5 et 37 + 15mm spacer = to et22

Front tires: 245/40-18
Rear tires: 275/35-18
Attached Images

Last edited by crfine88; 09-28-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0