antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Update. Got the E85 amp into the back of the car today. Install was quite easy. The quick answer: It makes a BIG difference, and there is a BIG improvement. This is a great, cheap solve.

The more winded version:
Before doing the swap, I listened to 4 different songs, each thru the CD player and also thru my ipod via the aux jack. My neighbor and my wife also listened taking turns in passenger seat. SO, our baseline is now in our heads.

Then I swapped the E85 amp into my E86, and listened to them all again.

I did this three times, with doors/hatch closed, engine off, DSP set to Jazz (recall I have no navi), bass flat, treble +3 clicks, balance/fade all neutral, and speed volume control set at 1.

Each time, we all noticed the same changes. Much clearer, harder hitting, virtually no fluttering or "blown speaker cone" sounds, and overall capable of much louder volumes and while staying remarkably clear. I will say with this E85 amp, its now one of the better if not the best sounding stock system I have heard in a BMW.... with my wifes X3 with underseat subs also ranking right up there. (I havent hear an Alpina B7 to comp, sorry). I know, it's still not a $4000 aftermarket system. But it sounds darn good and very impressive.

My expectations were high, and I didnt want to be swayed by a hope or placebo effect, hence bringing 2 more listeners in and doing it 3 times over. Bear in mind I'm not an intense audiophile or a pro-critic, just someone looking for a good sounding system, and this did the trick.

MHeavNC's thread "working with carver subs" (link above) explains it all, he's the one who stumbled on this - well done man!

" I will say with this E85 amp, its now one of the better if not the best sounding stock system I have heard in a BMW"

I agree, on it being one of the best stock systems period. If you think it sounds good with the setting at "jazz", you should here it with DSP and the adjustable 7 band graphics properly adjusted. I ran sweep tones in my car and used a DB meter and made adjustments and got the thing sounding exceptionally good. The only thing it's missing in my car (after the BSW stage one upgrade) is a little more clean power for 70 MPH cruising with the top down. Up to about 50MPH top down around town though, it rocks! I listen to classic rock, rock, jazz and blues, so the bottom end is fine for me.............. hits just fine for those genres.............. would I like a little more bottom? Sure, but I'm hoping BSW comes out with an upgraded 6.5" woofer for the kick panel that is a little tighter and more musical with equal or better efficiency sometime soon......... that should help round out things some.
Appreciate 0