LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Your idea of being an American and my idea are miles apart. This country was founded on the quest for personal freedom and we have been giving them away ever since.
No, the country was not founded on the idea of boundless personal freedom. The country was founded on the idea of a limited Federal government, sure. But freedoms still have to be given up to form governments. That's why the worded the preamble how they did... Duh...

Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
They gave up freedoms in the hope of forming a union for those purposes.

Also, one of the powers the Constitution gives the President explicitly is the power the put down rebellions. Because they also bound their heirs to their contract without their direct consent.

I'm a big fan of the Constitution and the system it sets up, but to pretend it is some document of unlimited individual freedom is not accurate.

The core "Freedom" that the US system establishes is that we're not subjects to a monarch. That we, as a collective, are agreeing to give up some of our natural rights to be stronger together.

Quote:
Me I take issue with having unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats craft laws that effect me.
Then get your elected officials to change it. The US isn't a direct democracy. So you don't have direct governmental authority. You elect government officials to act on your behalf with the sole remedy for you if they don't do what you like being to vote for someone who will. If you can't get enough of your fellow countryman to agree. You have to convince them.

Quote:
Maybe you missed the part about this being burred in the 1,039-page 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act that nobody had time to read before voting. If you think this is uncommon you are naive.
I never said it was uncommon. As I said, the Federal Government lacks a single subject rule so they can pass massive laws with who knows what in them.

Quote:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. The only way they can inherit the freedom we have known is if we fight for it, protect it, defend it, and then hand it to them with the well fought lessons of how they in their lifetime must do the same. And if you and I don’t do this, then you and I may well spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it once was like in America when men were free.
Ronald Reagan - 1961
Again, "Freedom" in the American context is that you're not subject to a monarch or a tyrant. That you have a government that you can influence as you're freely ceding some of your natural rights to it. It does NOT mean you have absolute freedom to "do whatever you like" or "laws don't matter" or "laws can't be created".

I'll never understand why our system seems so hard for people to understand. The Constitution and Declaration of Independence are very short and really do a great job of explaining the system. If you're a little more in the middle or back of the class The Federalist Papers really round out the explanation fully.

That said, on topic, I'll reserve my opinion until I see what the actual regulation looks like. If it is shit then I'll complain, submit comments, and yell at my legislators to fix it.
Appreciate 0