Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Visual inspection may get you, even if you pass sniffer test. It's all dependent on how knowledgeable and close the tester looks. If your install is well done and looks "clean" and "factory" you stand a better chance of passing the visual than an install with obvious aftermarket racer mods. In theory all shops inspect using the same criteria, the reality is sometimes otherwise.
Absolutely! Shops are supposed to follow some standard procedures during visual inspections. However, not all of them know what to look for. Just brought my car to a local shop for smog, 2 techs practically crawled underneath the car to perform visual inspection (not sure what they were looking for;-). In the end, they said my car fail for having aftermarket Intake (I have Afe intake). I have to swap back the OEM airbox and retested to pass.

This same setup have passed smog many many times at a smaller shop near my work! Check around with the local car enthusiasms, they might give you some really good recommends of mods friendly smog shops.
Appreciate 0