View Single Post
      01-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #88
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Thank you! I was pleasantly surprised by the reduced wiring mess on the non-M Z, compared to a Z4M and even my Supra. I'm a big fan of keeping things neat and tidy where possible.

Having had both the Z4M, the 3.0si and now this frankenstein, I believe the driveability, power delivery, and engine responsiveness are on par with my previous Z4M, if not a bit more refined. Yes, refined. Keep in mind that although this engine is an old technology staple, it is a 2002 year with VVTi technology. Couple that with the Z4 drive by wire throttle body, properly tuned engine management, small (60mm) turbo, and short piping, and this thing is very responsive. It wants to boost almost immediately at part throttle (which I can reduce via the Sport mode switch as I have that activated in the AEM).

Also, I'm still on the 3.64 auto rear gearing, which makes for a very nimble vehicle on canyon carving. I was surprised that 80mph cruising in 6th gear, it sits at 3krpm. A bit higher than I anticipated, but if you only knew how effortlessly it is to pass vehicles without downshifting.

Hopefully this year I can bring her out to some events, and would like to get some feedback from some of you. I plan to start dynoing soon and tuning the AEM as everything breaks in.

Based on my fuel consumption of ~40% duty cycle at 55psi, calculations put me near 300whp, this on just 12psi of boost.

Also, comparatively speaking, if I were to invest in a Z4M AND do a VF570 or such supercharger, I would be roughly $10k on top of what I've spent, and that includes every nut and bolt, replacement parts, upgrades, etc to date! Plus, having full knowledge of the engine's tuning at my fingertips and NOT having to rely on outside tuning assistance gives me piece of mind.

Yeah, the electric power steering is weird, I have smaller brakes, single out exhaust tip, and no M badges, but you quickly forget about all of that when you drive it! This 3.0si I picked up came fully loaded with all M-sport upgrades (sans the steering wheel), thus it is great value for the money.