11-14-2020, 09:06 AM   #170
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Sad to report that my SLR control arm kit failed. The outer ball stud snapped at the upper nut. Fortunately this happened right away on an out lap, so collateral damage is minimal. A bit of fender damage and a wheel.

I had planned to replace all the hardware this winter, as after three years of use I was having anxiety about this. How ironic...

The one chronic problem I have had with this kit is the hardware loosening. Numerous times I've had shudder issues on track only to find that one or more of the nuts had loosened. I was also worried that the top nut on the outer ball mount may have been stretching the stud every time it took more torque. I even talked to Sean about this. Looking at the failure, it suggests to me that this stud did stretch as the failure looks to me like a tension failure rather than sheer.

For now I'm going back to stock arms. Will be interested to get Vanne's feedback on the MRT DTM kit.

Well this is concerning! I have had the same kit on the car now for about 1.5 year but I haven't had the car on track much this year due to covid. Now I am bit worried to because of this failure.

The only thing I will say is I didn't really had the hardware loosening issue. I have had the arms off the car once since installing them initially and when I did a re-torque after about 500 street miles I only got one or two nuts that needed a tiny retorque. Then after that they stayed put for the next 3Kish (track/autox/and back road carving) miles until I took them off again.

Have you been in contact with Shane at all about the failure? I am wondering if all the nuts/bolts on this kit should be wear items.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0