View Single Post
      01-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #160
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Lightweight dash

Finally got around to executing on some ideas I've been having regarding reducing the weight of the heavy plastic dash and the mess of gauges. Even skinned underneath, the stock dash and trim (with aftermarket gauges) weighs in at a hefty 15 lbs. I knew I wanted to make something out of carbon fiber (my new found love...), but just couldn't decide on how to house all the gauges in a practical and aesthetically pleasing way with a dash that would be within my capabilities to mold. After seeing a commercially available universal CF dash for drag cars that was a simple flat panel type design, I had my epiphany. If only I removed all gauges, I would be free to make the dash a simple, elegant, and light, design.

So I made a simple three sided mold out of wood. Used body filler and epoxy to get a nice smooth finish, even though this will be a positive mold so the surface of the mold will be the underside of the dash. For vacuum bagging, you need a good seal.

Sorry, not a lot of pictures of the process, but here is the finished dash. The top is a laminate with 1/8" foam core, 2 layers of 3k twill under and one more over. I used a unusual finish on the top of the dash. Your typical 3k twill would create a very high sheen finish. Not good for a dash. I wanted something matte and with a small pattern. So after the dash came out of the vacuum mold, I wet laid a layer of 1k plain weave and gave it a dry look finish. Doesn't give that CF pop most like, but I dig it. Unique and functional.

I gave the lower section of the dash some structure by epoxying in some ribs. This made for a very rigid dash, much more so than the flimsy plastic dash. You can also see in this picture what I mean about the sheen on 3k twill. Looks nice, but too much glare!

2 pounds, 1 ounce!

Size comparison to the lumpy behemoth.

The finished product. Very clean and simple. I also made the center stack (it's about 4 ounces). Same finish, but the lighting is making it look like it has more sheen. I will have 4 switches mounted to it in front of the shifter; sport button, radiator fan, seat blower, and cool suit.

For gauges, I've purchased an AiM MXL2. I've got it mounted and mostly wired up, but will do a separate post on that with instruction on how to make it work.
Appreciate 5
wdb4732.00
Vanne1620.50
eggman51198.50