View Single Post
      12-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #912
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Just going back to this a little, since I faced a similar dillema... if you're thinking about buying the watch and keeping it for a real long time; do you really think its' worth saving $1500-$2000. I bought a new sub over the weekend at msrp (i got lucky because i bothered my AD like 3 times and had bought a watch there before). The used ones that i saw at stores or online where similar price and in a lot of cases over msrp lol. Even if I could snag a used SS date sub for lets say $7k, I wouldn't do it. Those are usually the really old ones and the ones with a $2.5k discount were like 25 years old steel models not the ceramic newer type. My new one came with a 5 year factory warranty and 5 year extended from my AD (for a total of 10 years). The only situation at least currently where I see a used SS Rolex being worth it right now is if the general market takes a complete shit like I've mentioned before where people could start letting these things go for half price. Just my thoughts... Also why would anyone trade a luxury good; there is virtually no more sure fire way to get fleeced lol.
currently with the holidays, the 2ndary market is about the same, or more than msrp. late spring/early summer it will dip back down to where you can save $1-2k.

the 25yo subs are the 5 digit ones, but if properly maintained, will last a long time. Some people prefer them over the 6 digit you bought due to the slimmer and smaller case.

as for is it worth it, thats up to you to decide. for me, buying a watch im going to keep and not abuse, it doesnt matter if its used or new, all that matters is the price. the warranty wont cover a service, which it will eventually need, and the movements in these have been around for 30+ years without any major issues, so unless you got a lemon, you wont need the warranty.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0