11-11-2019, 01:04 PM   #46
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
Rate of is indeed a ratio.

* Speed is by definition a rate of change of position, therefore already a rate, adding the word rate before this does not add more meaning.
* High speed means high rate of change of position.
* High rate of speed means then, high rate of rate of position.

Can you explain to me how this makes more sense?

The correct terminology is High Speed. Nothing more, nothing less.
eg: High Speed Car Chase. NOT High Rate of Speed Car Chase.

I just don't understand how they could achieve such flight at any speed. I can't see anything that looks like a ramp that could launch them that high.
I know I've done some dumb things when I started driving, but luckily cars just weren't fast enough to cause this kind of catastrophic damage and loss of life.
In physics, speed is defined as the distance traveled per unit of time. Speed is the scalar quantity that is the magnitude of the velocity vector. Therefore, speed is already the rate of distance over time, otherwise known as velocity. The rate of speed is velocity over time, otherwise known as acceleration. By saying high rate of speed they would be implying picking up more speed...in which this case; these two boys certainly achieved.

From what I can see, in the photos, there is a dirt embankment opposite the building before the parking lot. In one of the photos, two officers are standing in it. Based on the amount of dirt strewn about the parking lot beyond this area, I would imagine that this is what caused their upward momentum.

I'm with you on being young and reckless. I, myself, displayed countless demonstrations of moronic driving when I was younger...but nothing to a degree like this. I can't imagine the sheer terror they felt once they lost control.
Appreciate 0