View Single Post
      08-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #20
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
Interesting. I have never driven an E46 M3 around a track but I do find the Z4MC to be quite "squirmy" (as you put it) in tighter corners. Makes sense, now that I'm reading your post.

I may just have to go with a 265F and 285R set up.

What are your thoughts on that? Other than the fact that on the street tram-lining will make me want to take a bus...

265/285 won't fit with stock suspension. I doubt they will even fit with aftermarket wheels.

On the rear a 275 barely fits. Anything larger will rub the chassis on the inside. They will burn thru the fender liners on the inside and after that start eating the chassis. This is with moderate camber and some toe IN. If you move the tires out with a lower offset it will rub the fender. The only way is to raise the car to ugly high SUV height so it doesn't rub.

A 245 is about the largest you can go before it starts to rub the stock spring perch on the front. A wider tires is not only wider its' also taller. With aftermarket coilovers that have narrower springs you make be able to squeeze 255s.

I agree with Hack. Don't put wider tires on the car unless you have maximized the grip of a smaller size and you still need a wider size. Alignment, proper tire pressure, and sticky compound will give you a better handling car than putting oversized tires on the car that wont' fit right and make you run suboptimal alignment.
Appreciate 0