View Single Post
      05-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #17
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You're putting WAY too much thoughts into this. Just because they're track pads doesn't mean they don't work on the street. You just have to be cognizant of that first brake application when it's been driven for an extended period of time without the use of brakes, that it takes about 15-20% more pedal pressure to slow it down like when it's hot. Otherwise MOST track pads, unless you go into the sprint only pads, when operated cold has similar or close to street pad level bite. The super high-end, RACE ONLY pads may take a couple of applications before they'll fully bite when it's 40º outside, but for OUR use those aren't likely to be very rotor and wheel friendly (because racecar).

There are times when I get lazy and leave Hawk DTC60s on the car for weeks on end. My boss likes them because he hears me coming from a mile away. I hate it because my wife knows I'm coming home LATE. But from a operating and safety standpoint, unless it's freakin' cold outside (and where I live, that's like 62º), there's absolutely no reason why I can't drive a few hundred miles to and from the track on track pads.
You're probably right, and I guess it comes with experience. The various manufacturer websites make it seem like street and track pads are mutually exclusive use cases. The reality might be different, but I like to get real-world opinions when I can. Thanks!
Appreciate 0