Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Finnegan
I have -2.4 with the camber pins installed. I could get more with them pulled but I drive the car every day and more than that would REALLY increase front tire wear....

I personally don't think -2.4 is too much for a street/canyon carver, though it probably is the max for a street car (another opinion). But you will really have to do it, align it, and let Kitty drive it. But she will love it in the canyon's. So will you. Remember, Kitty in not a normal woman driver. She has some skills and it getting more....

Some say that the Bimmerworld kit is better due to the one piece shim that cover both bolts. I don't see it. The strut only attaches to the lower portion of the kingpin at those two bolts and there is a space in between. eg. it's not a continual mount point. The bolts in the Turner kit are 10.5 grade bolts so I assume (now that's scary) that they are stronger than stock.

One thing though. I have the toe set to .05 (it's in spec) and with the extra camber it makes the car a tad nervous?? in a straight line. That may be too strong a word. It tracks straight but the steering feel is light in the straights so you have to keep on top of it. Of course this is the first alignment that I have had since I bought the car in Feb. so the alignment may have been a tad off and I have gotten use to it so now it feels the way it should...
Thanks for the feedback Shipkiller!

I could be wrong, but yeah, as the camber increases the car requires more attention in a straight line. Toe seems to okay for street from what I've read/learned. (But I'm open to others saying otherwise. Lots of guys on here with way more knowledge than me!) Seems that way to me at least. I think it's a direct result of the improved turn-in/bite you get with those settings.

There's always a trade off with settings (I think this is why Car62 was saying -3.0 or -3.5, while great at the track, wasn't great on the street). The other issue is that on the street there are ruts/grooves from SUVs and semis digging into the pavement, and camber (and excessive toe) makes the car more sensitive to this. Those aren't conditions you'd find at a track, so....

I think we'll kick things up to a tad over -2.0 in front. 'Kitty says she's aware of the "downside" of the camber settings, but says "when I drive I'm driving, and I'm focused only on driving, so I'm paying attention and it's not an issue." Like you said, she's not a normal woman driver. That's one of the things I love about her--my wife the gearhead.
Appreciate 0