United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 Dakar Z3, '12 135i vert

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1998 BMW Z3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
The hydraulic system on these cars are under a great amount of pressure so they can open and close the weight of the roof. Given the amount of pressure within the system you shouldn't be able to easily move the top manually without the by-pass being engaged. If you can move the top easily without the by-pass being engaged then...the by-pass system has issues.

You have to reach the motor and move it to your trunk. After the motor is in your trunk you now have control and can chose your next step at your leisure (new motor, attempt to fix the old motor, go manual ...whatever). Basically, your car, your call.

You can do this by removing the top. There are a lot of good d/I/y info on the net on doing this. You can also try the European thru the trunk method of changing the motor.
I did this method, it's unpleasant and a pain but, I had the motor in the trunk in 3 hours.

There also a new method of reaching the motor. I'll reposted this new method after I find the link on youtube. I should note that I did not use this method because it's new and I can't say if it will work. However, it look's like this new method might actually work if your able to move the top, which you can.

Here's the link on that 3rd method. The guy posting has a link in it which has a written step by step on doing this.

Thanks. I'll try this when I get home from school tomorrow. I'll update with how it went.