View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

The emergency by-pass system in the motor/pump is failing. It is most likely half open/half closed.

You advised that when lifting the top with the motor/pump it at some point will stop moving, but you can complete closing it manually with easy without using the red handle in the trunk. Why, because with the by-pass half engaged the system has no hydo force to lift the top completely. The fact that you can move the top manually without engaging the by-pass is clear evidence of by-pass failure. Your by-pass is most likely stuck/jammed half closed.

My motor and my by-pass failed at about the same time. I was lucky, my top was up when these failures happened. Anyway, when I got the motor out the area around the by-pass was coated in a white hard...stuff. The by-pass runs on a cable which is attached to the motor/pump. When engaged a lever on the pump pushes in a brass/copper ball bearing which cuts the fluid from the pump allowing the top to be moved manually. On my motor that white stuff had totally locked up the brass bearing from any movement.
Appreciate 0