The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
The HACK how was bmw driving experience at thermal? i know you were there haha
Really? Someone ratted me out?

We were the group behind the M2 that's been made into someone's race car on the first session out on the north course. So basically all our time behind the M2 got cut to nothing. Which was why *I* was there in the first place, I want to see what the M2 is capable of. Unfortunately I got maybe 2-3 laps in the M2 due to the incident.

Having spent my entire adult life in So. Cal, this whole wet stuff on the track surface isn't something I'm used to. Believe it or not, in my 15+ years of tracking regularly, I've only been on track 3 times when it was wet. I've only been on track ONCE when it was STANDING WATER, and that was in my AWD Subaru WRX. This was the second time in standing water...And none stop rain. Wish I had my GoPro hooked up when the M2 went SIDEWAYS on the front straight on the south course, when I went about 1/2 car width wide behind the car in front to peek around it and ran across a HUGE puddle of standing water. After it's all said and done though, I wasn't sure if I caught the spin or if DSC caught it, which was a little disconcerting to me. On the MZ4 Coupe its easy to tell since DSC engagements are pretty abrupt.

Unfortunately that was the only "excitement" I got. Spent the rest of the "track" portion slowing down and passing novices. Got maybe 2 clean laps out of the whole day. Luckily my friends and I got grouped together and we were able to have a little fun despite the format being "lead and follow." The wet surfaces helped some of the asshatery we're doing, and I think the ///M Performance Center instructor caught on pretty quick that we knew what we were doing.

The real fun part was the AX, although I sort of screwed myself on the first two runs trying to set the world on fire. Otherwise the three of us (my buddies that I caravaned/carpooled up with) could have cleaned house and took top 3 times. Oh well, live and learn. Sometimes I forget that most of these current gen BMWs don't snap oversteer and trailbraking to rotate could induces understeer at speed. They've pretty much taken all joy out of driving a modern day BMW for me.

What I will say though...If you go, make sure you go with a bunch of friends and you guys all get grouped together. The baby-sitters will let you push, if they know you can handle it. What we should have done (the three of us) is each get in a car, and make sure we're on track driving at the same time. In our session we took 2 cars, with the third car in the group driven by a stranger. What ended up happening is, when we're in the two car behind the M Performance Center instructor, he'll notice the first car glued to his bumper, then he'll speed up accordingly to let us have fun, but when he comes to the straights, he'll notice the third car is like 50 car lengths behind us and he's forced to slow down to a craw to let the last car catch up. If you and your friends can monopolize a whole group (a group of at least 3, no more than 6) it can be a lot of fun. The M Performance Center instructors are pros and WOULD enjoy the opportunity to be pushed once in a while. I noticed the ear to ear grin on the instructor's face and the knowing head nod after our session to acknowledge the fact that HE had fun also.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0