04-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #76
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Brilliant observation...let us know how you plan to read the temp of the oil at the rings...

Oh, and where does that oil go after getting heated by the cylinder walls? Into the pan where your oil temp sensor is. Maybe I should clarify for you since you seem to be very literal. The oil in the pan is the hottest WHERE IT CAN BE MEASURED.
I never said I wanted or could read the oil at it's highest temperature only that the pan where it is being read isn't the highest temp the oil sees. When you said "Your oil is at it's highest temp in the pan" I took this literally. I guess I should have realized that pan and engine are the same.

Aircraft engine but the theory is the same, you don't have to get the gauge to 220 for the oil to see 220 https://generalaviationnews.com/2018...rature-engine/
Quote:
So what is the best oil temperature for a good aircraft engine at cruise conditions? I like to see at or near that 180° to 200° range.

This means that the highest temperature that the oil will see in the engine is in the 230° to 250° range, which will boil off the moisture.
https://www.reiffpreheat.com/Article-Visser3.htm

And this -

Quote:
We have determined that on most non-turbocharged engines, this instantaneous oil temperature is usually about 50° hotter than the temperature of the oil going into the engine. If we add the 50° to an engine oil temperature of only 160°, we see that the oil never gets over the 212° mark, which is the boiling point of water. By running at 180° during cruise, the oil should be hot enough to boil off the normal condensation in a one-hour flight.

On the high end, the maximum preferred oil temperature is around 200°. This guideline is based on data that show the instantaneous temperature of the oil coming off the pistons for many turbocharged piston engines is about 75° above the temperature of the oil going into the engine. This means that if you are running an oil temperature of 240° during cruise, the oil is actually reaching 315° at some point in the engine. This is OK for a short time during climb-out, but if your engine operates for extended periods at this temperature, it can lead to coking and an increased level of deposits in your engine.