View Single Post
      04-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #11
just-right
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
Nice work! Thanks for this. Fantastic to see some analysis here, instead of just "winging" it. Question: your initial model looks pretty short compared to the typical spitters seen at the track. ie. This is more mstache than apr. Any thoughts on the effect of splitter length? (that is, how far it protrudes)
Thanks dschultz, thanks for your comments and indeed a very good question!

In short it is a conservative starting point. Mostly driven by ground clearance for daily driving and the aerodynamic considerations below. Now that I have a baseline to work from the overhang will undoubtedly start to creep forward though!

From a flow physics point of view it is possible to yield several times more suction than it is possible to yield pressurisation. I am trying to utilise this as much as possible by creating more of a front diffuser than a splitter. Almost the whole splitter on the first iteration is generating its downforce through this principle of accelerating the flow rather than heavily utilising the stagnation on the bumper. A benefit is that it typically doesn’t increase the drag as much.

Another aerodynamic consideration is that I don’t want the splitter centre of pressure too far forward just yet. This is to minimise the offloading of the rear axle through leverage. This will long term give us the ability to generate more downforce for the same aero balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Excellent work, but looking to see a much much more aggressive splitter than that.
would love to see the "Z4 Einstein (tm)" splitter through this process.
Thanks Vanne and I agree! I am sure that bit by bit – as I work through the iterations - the aggressiveness of the splitter will come towards your liking. I can see a nice list of mods on your Z4M as well
Appreciate 0