08-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I always thought the less than "super car" but still above the standard car makes more sense. Some companies create huge gaps and I am assuming to show what they can do but they end up building cars that are never seen or most even know about. Likely never happen but I would like to see BMW build a 2 door performance car in the $100k-$200k range far more than the $500k+. The i8 was a huge disappointment in my mind. Decent performance from a 3 cylinder hybrid but and interesting to look at but nothing I would ever like to own.

Ford created the GT, I have never seen one, zero chance I will ever own one, almost no one I know has any idea it exists, didn't increase Ford's image in my mind.

I feel the same about the Lexus LFA

Gap between Acura NSX (has it's own isues) and their next performance car? Not sure what the next car is.
I agree. The halo supercars sell in such miniscule numbers that they account to little more than collector cars for the extremely wealthy and do little for average buyer brand recognition. The reality is that the G80 M3/M4 will offer performance that approaches super cars at a price point where they can actually sell in volume and if you want something even faster the M8 Comp will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and while it's not exotic neither is its price. There are plenty of cars today that approach supercar performance while retaining daily driveability and that's where the industry is moving to.
Appreciate 0