View Single Post
      03-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
MPLICIT
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4MC S65B40A Swap

Z4MC S65 DCT + Suspension/Cosmetic Build

Hey guys! There are some crazy things going on over here. You'll notice I'm new to the Z4 side of things, but not BMWs in general. I picked up a Z4MC the other day (more on that later) and I'm proceeding with a build.

I might not post everything about the engine build, but it will certainly all be on [Admin Notified]. I would link but apparently the mods don't like that. Weak. Absolutely weak.

I'm starting a project build using the S65 platform. My first thought is to build a stroked motor and slap on a nice supercharger to make "big numbers". The problem is, there's a lot of information around about builds such as this and I'm left rather apprehensive. Admittedly, I'm not an expert engine builder, nor am I a physicist or mechanical engineer so bear this in mind when evaluating my statements. I am in no way attempting to be make any statements written in stone. I'd like to hear all of your feedback and thoughts on this matter to try and get a better idea of what to do.

Here's where we are at so far: I have the donor car for the build so at this time all we have to do is do the build. I'm still in the planning phase of this build and the only thing I have gotten is a block. Specifically, I just picked up a block from ebay for a very good price that was hydrolocked. Since I plan to build a stroked engine I figured this is no big deal at all and any machining/sleeves would render this a very usable block.

To elaborate on my goals a bit more, I really would like to get at least 700 wheel. My first plan is to go with the PPM stroker kit and a compression of 10:1. I've been speaking with Peter Helmuth from PPM in Australia and he has advised me that he can sell me the same stroker kit they use in their 4.8L race motor. It's an 86mm stroke and a 94mm bore. This sounds absolutely nutty awesome and it's something I'd like to do. He advised me that I don't really need sleeves even with running boosted. Now, this is where my apprehension comes into play. I'm not too sure about all of this. It seems to me that alusil is not exactly the strongest material in the world and sleeves like Darton makes are really great for running in boosted motors. My main concern with sleeves is excessive temperature retention, but again I'm no expert here.

Before I tackle the supercharger, I'd like to lay out my stroker build first.

I've attached some pictures of the block I picked up. One of the pictures details a repair that was one on one of the cylinders. Everything looks fine here to be a candidate for a stroker build like this. Thoughts on this block? I don't see anything that jumps out and throws a big red flag.

I ordered a ton of parts for this engine build and picked up several big items locally. Pictures to soon. This build is happening guys! I'll make sure to document all my steps and results for prosperity. Maybe the motor fails, maybe it does not. We'll just have to see, but I'm giving the stroker/supercharged motor a go. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flame over certain aspects of this build, but oh well. Gotta live life the way you want.

I just bought the car that will be being swapped. I'll be picking her up this weekend. Reason for getting this car: weight. It's much lighter, shorter wheel base, perfect for building something with great handling. The torsional rigidity is 32,000 N.m which is far more than most cars. The reason I'm building an S65 for this car instead of an S85 is weight and size. With the S65, it will sit further back in the bay than the S54 and weigh much less until I throw on the supercharger which will probably get it to be only a few more pounds heavier, but remember it will be further back for better weight distribution.

Believe me, I wanted to go with the S85 for the V10 sound, but too much weight.

If anyone is wondering what is going to happen to the S54 and trans, I may offer it up for sale when I get closer to pulling it. We'll have to see. I have a feeling grabbing a prepped rolling E30 and dropping in the S54 would be a fun treat. However, if anyone wants to reserve the S54, I am open to offers. It has around 90k on it and would be perfect for a track build. I won't be needing the 6 speed trans either.

More updates and pics to follow so follow this thread!
Appreciate 6
angelr188.50
yousefnjr6159.00
Mirko182.00
Vanne1620.50
GPower61.00