Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
I'm a Red Line lubricant fan, using their recommended transmission oils in my Chevy, Ford, and Triumph vehicles. The Triumphs use the MT90. Two things I'd like to point out....MT90 is actually a 75W90 weight GL4 oil...secondly, Red Line recommends their D4 ATF oil for both the 2004 Z4 5spd and 6spd mt's (D6 ATF for 2006-2008 Z4's). So with the MT90 you are going thicker (think it'll be fine unless used in cold climates).
I can say I have RedLine D6 in my 128i manual and it is awesome. At first I thought it was too "video-gamey" because it basically takes ALL the resistance out of the shifter movement and well, feels like a flight sim joystick, but thankfully keeps the snick snick in the engagement. Anyway sometimes you don't realize whats good for you because it wasn't until I drove the same gearbox with Royal Purple Synchromesh did I realize the result with D6 was to my preference. Shifting is much faster. And it doesn't seize up or at all in colder weather whereas the RP needed warming up all the time. And still better than the rubbery Honda base Civic feel that modern BMW's post hydraulic steering have. Its possible the previous owner didn't remove enough of the previous gear oil before adding RP, can't speak to that, but in my 128i it was no comparison to his car.

I'll be doing my research to see if D6 is a safe application for the Z4M gearbox.
Appreciate 0