View Single Post
      05-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
No doubt it is a huge bump in interior feel and amenities, however the ride quality of a Lexus is hard to beat.
The Lexus was very nice inside and had a lot of nice features the Merc lacks. I lost keyless access, HID headlights, automatic wipers (which didn't work very well on the Lexus). I also went from hydraulic to electric assist for power steering. In cars like these two I really don't mind, but even though the Lexus steering felt distant it wasn't as disconnected as the MB.

Ride quality is subjective but the Lexus was very floaty and soft, too much so for my tastes. It's one of the major reasons I went away from the Lexus. The Merc suspension has more of a controlled gentility sort of vibe. Plush without being sloppy.

Quote:
Merc owners are not widely seen as members of the DIY crowd - a whole lot easier to afford that way!
I'm still surfing the MB forums but so far I am finding that, with the exception of cosmetics and bling, there is not the mod madness I find among the BMW crowd. Lots of DIYs for regular maintenance, and then it goes to stuff like changing grilles (which I might actually do). But I have already found a realoem equivalent for parts, so there is support in that regard.

There's a really good MB indy near here. Mercedes authorized repair since the 1960's. I'm having them do a PPI on the car for me; it has a 7-day money back guarantee I want to take advantage of, and I'm never going to be the kind of expert they are. After that I expect to do much of the maintenance myself.
Appreciate 1
86Zed932.00