12-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David@ApexRaceParts View Post
With the KW Variants/ ST Coilovers, using the 18x9.5" ET35 ARC-8 with a 255/35/18 tire, you would hit either the spring perch or the bottom of the spring itself with the V shaped springs, so you will need to add a small 5mm spacer, or perhaps even larger depending on your ride height, to push the tire out away from the spring perch or spring. With the added spacer, you will need to dial in additional negative camber for the wheels and tires to clear the fenders properly, probably more than -3 degrees. In order to fix this issue with the 18x9.5" ET35 wheel clearance, you would want to switch to a linear spring. Because of their shape, it is recommended to be used with camber plates. You may be able to source upper top hat that would work with the OEM upper mount.

Some people go with a stretched tire of a 245/40/18 on the front, but we do not believe this would be a good solution as it would not provide the proper wheel protection due to the tire stretch. The best solution is still to change the KW V-shaped springs to the 6" linear race springs for proper fitment. The KW spring perch accepts a 60mm spring, thus you should look for a 6" 60mm spring from Swift, Hyperco, Eibach, or H&R. This will allow you to remove your V shaped spring and raise the lower spring perch higher to avoid the wheels and tires interfering.
Awesome post david. I'm interested in running a similar setup as below. My understanding is that this example is running 18x9.5 et35 and 18.10 et25 with 275/35 square tires. I have the same spec rims and am shopping for some competition tires for track use.

Problem is, I have kw v3 which have the progressive spring. I'm dialed in at around -3.5 degrees front camber. I don't rub at all with 19x8.5 et32 with 245/35 tire. Do you know how my car would respond to a 275/35 front on 18x9.5 et35? I am not opposed to using spacers.