10-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #22
MBan
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Sounds like you already pulled the trigger, but I have a euro setup (euro header/euro section 1), rogue engineering x pipe, and I've paired it with both SS race cans and RPI cans. This was both with stock intake and with AFE intake.

With RPI, can't hear anything but exhaust.
With SS Race, agreed with the comment that I can hear intake >7k at WOT, but barely. I think with powerloops, you'lll hear a bit more intake.

My prior setups involved euro header, DKF Section 1 with 300 cell cats, stock xpipe/RE xpipe, and SS powerloops/race with AFE intake. I could hear intake >7k at WOT, but barely with all these setups. SS powerloops vs. race made the most difference in hearing intake sound. Then I installed the euro section 1 and it got notably quieter, so intake was more audible. I think if you leave your section 1, you should hear some intake unless you go with a LOUD muffler. Using something like eventuri should help vs. stock/AFE as well.

Regarding tone, powerloops were deeper than race by far. RPI are deepest under 2.5k rpm; beyond that, they are the least deep of the 3.
Thanks - you've really tried a few combinations!

I tried full Supersprint (V1 stepped headers, cat'd S1, X-pipe and Powerloops) with an Eventuri and I reckon it sounded pretty epic but droned and in some scenarios (particularly when cold) it buzzed / rasped through the mid-range. While it was hard with this setup to hear the intake separately, it had a complex, rich sound when you were really on it. Playing with the throttle was great fun just to bring out different tones... but it was a bit much, so I swapped back to the stock X-pipe. This is the right balance for me: drone is decreased (not eliminated, though), you can hear the intake reasonably clearly and at low revs it has a deep burble.

I think you're right re the stock section 1. I noticed when I put on the SS headers and Section 1 with stock everything else, it made a fizz through the mid-range that obscured the intake.

I'm still curious what it would sound like with the SS X-pipe and stock mufflers but I suspect the undesirable (to me) features like rasp would come back and it would lose the burble of the Powerloops, so not really a win.

I was reading MattWalters' thread again this week (such an amazing project) and he suggested that the stock X-pipe and mufflers would be a significant restriction. I didn't really see that with mine (+6-8hp from adding X-pipe, mufflers and Eventuri), but maybe once you get into cams and a proper CSL-style airbox the effect would be more pronounced. So, who knows - maybe I'll go back to the SS X-pipe at some stage!
Appreciate 1