Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bears View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Just evaluate your risks, when the pumps fails you are broken down and stranded.

If you don't go far from home and the towing cost is not much, it's your second car etc it's easier to wait.
O.P.'s car is 56k and modern water pumps will last up 80-100k easy, right now I'm still using my original water pump on with 140k. With all that life left plus being driven 3k a year with proper flush there is really no risk to worry about. He has plenty of time to plan for a replacement.

It's going to come down to will it be convenient for him to change it now or later?I could understand if his water pump is pushing 80k, but at the rate of 3k a year of driving he has another 7-8 years before he needs to really worry about it.

Tempotantrum, if you change your coolant religiously you should be fine for a while it will prolong the life of the bearings in your WP.
But it's not bearing failure that's the problem. The electronics died on mine at 70,000 and 43 miles from home. It was also my daily. Had to barrow a car until I could get the parts and replace. My old commute was 43 miles each way.

Back then money was tight and workshop fees were not an option.

This was on the E85 that has better airflow in the engine bay. Drove the on the replacement pump for another five years or 130k before trading up cars.

Funny enough, I had my E89 for three days and the water pump failed. Yep 32,000 miles and 4 years old. Extended warranty covered the towing pump and loaner.

I don't normally believe in replacing good parts, I was simply advocating risk evaluation.
Appreciate 0