04-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Guidance on brakes - my intended product is not in stock for months

Hey Folks,

I thought I had a plan for servicing my brakes sorted as prep for some upcoming track days. My brakes definitely need to be serviced before I will be comfortable driving the car on the track. I'm booked for 4 consecutive track days in mid June and don't want to miss that.

I was going to order ECS Tuning 2 piece rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for both front and rear. I had also ordered a caliper rebuild kit for all 4 corners and stainless steel brake lines - so these costs start to add up.

However, after placing the order for a couple of weeks now, it turns out the front rotors are not available until August.

My options appear to be:
1. Use OEM / Zimmerman rotors - less than I was planning to spend on the ECS product
2. A BBK, likely the Racing Brake kit - about 3 times what I was planning to spend
3. Something else I have not considered

I can always upgrade to a BBK later is certainly one thought - but the cost of a 4 corner brake refresh with the OEM product is not exactly cheap, also factoring labour (I don't have the time / skills to do this brake upgrade).

I absolutely love good brakes having driven formula cars as a young man. I am nowhere near as good a driver as the Z4 M can handle, so this is not about extracting performance as much as it is about having some lovely brakes to stand on

Any guidance much appreciated.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0