Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Xmetal,

It sounds like we are following similar paths. I didn't try a different weight oil, but I did try Ceratec on my last oil change. In fact, it is in the car right now and will be changed within the next 100 miles. Our mileage is about the same. I suspect I will find the same bearing wear that you have.

Did Lang have any opinion on Ceratec? My thought is that I know I need the bearings replaced and will be doing it soon. Since the most common failure is spun bearings, I was hoping if there was metal on metal contact (which clearly there is), it would slip over the Ceratec coating and not have enough friction to spin the bearing.

Now that you have new bearings, will you continue to use Ceratec? Since the WPC bearings have the slicker surface and the BE bearings have the coated surface, I don't know that it is necessary or helpful, but I suppose Ceratec has other benefits other than the bearing shells.

I was reading Loctite's literature the other day, and they have a product called 648. It may be that the Loctite would add too much thickness, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried adding that to the underside of the bearing shell where it interfaces with the rod.

When I do my rod bearing swap, I'll post photos and results, as well.

Salty
Lang doesn’t have an opinion on Ceratec. All he said was that Liqui Moly is trying to sell that to him at the moment. He was skeptical (as was I) that any additives would do anything to help bearings wear.

I don’t have any additional additives in my current oil since I’m trying to isolate where the added sodium is coming from. I may use a Ceratec treatment in the future - they do advertised that it should last 30K or so. As long as wears are kept within check, I would like to stay away from any additional additives if possible because I don’t really want to mess around too much with the oil’s chemistry as originally intended by the manufacturer - Oil companies don't spend billions on R & D for nothing. My other reasoning was that if Ceratec was so effective as an anti-wear agent, why isn't it already in Liqui Moly's oil? Then again, may be Liqui Moly's oil already contain some Ceratec in it??? With that said, Lang did put Liqui Moly 10W60 in my engine after the bearing swap

Quote:
Oh, and did the bearings feel slicker that had been run with Ceratec?

Thanks!

Salty
The bearings feel normal like any components that have an oil film on it.

Quote:
Oh, and what bolts did you go with? Man, I'm full of questions...or something.

Salty
I went with the OE bolts per Lang’s suggestion. He didn’t try to push any other options

Last edited by XMetal; 01-28-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
SaltyNC369.50