View Single Post
      01-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Xmetal,

It sounds like we are following similar paths. I didn't try a different weight oil, but I did try Ceratec on my last oil change. In fact, it is in the car right now and will be changed within the next 100 miles. Our mileage is about the same. I suspect I will find the same bearing wear that you have.

Did Lang have any opinion on Ceratec? My thought is that I know I need the bearings replaced and will be doing it soon. Since the most common failure is spun bearings, I was hoping if there was metal on metal contact (which clearly there is), it would slip over the Ceratec coating and not have enough friction to spin the bearing.

Now that you have new bearings, will you continue to use Ceratec? Since the WPC bearings have the slicker surface and the BE bearings have the coated surface, I don't know that it is necessary or helpful, but I suppose Ceratec has other benefits other than the bearing shells.

I was reading Loctite's literature the other day, and they have a product called 648. It may be that the Loctite would add too much thickness, but I wonder if anyone has ever tried adding that to the underside of the bearing shell where it interfaces with the rod.

When I do my rod bearing swap, I'll post photos and results, as well.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0