View Single Post
      10-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #73
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
To the above point, backlash and mesh can be skipped if no change to the gearset. they said 100% of the time they checked it both come back on point. if you change the gearset, shimming the carrier is all that is needed. they really seem to know these diffs inside out, something I did not get with the US suppliers. I mean, changing bearings and crush sleeve is nothing special other than the intese labour and specialty tools required for it.
I would never skip on backlash (that was one of my points).
Especially as it's a measurement that takes maybe 30 sec to do.
They change bearings. So measuring backlash is the fastest and simpelest of measurements to immediately see if something's wrong. For example the bearings could be slightly out of spec or not seated properly. That is why you do that.
So to me this is cutting corners. It has nothing to do with knowing diff's inside out. A diff is quite a simple machine. They don't follow workshop manual procedure if they don't measure the backlash. And I don't mean jsut BMW's workshop manual procedure, but virtually all manufacturers workshop manual procedures.
Skipping on blueing the gears if the gearset isn't changed I can imagine. That is also a lot of work. But backlash? nah.

The second thing is that they don't secure the central nut securing plate on the input axis.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0