View Single Post
      08-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #36
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
While we're on the topic of brake pads, if you guys haven't tried Cobalt XR3s, I HIGHLY recommend them...Eventhough I may be switching back to Hawk DTC-60s (just because I get a pretty massive discount on them).
Very nice.

The nice thing about the Ferodo DS3000's is that they can be driven on the street with reasonable success. I still haven't bedded them in enough so I sound like a city bus when I'm coming to a nice and easy stop but when I clamp down for real it is literally like hitting a brick wall. Good modulation, too, so far as I can tell but I'll report more on that after this weekend at NJMP. But they stop to an acceptable degree even when not fully heated up which is refreshing for a track pad. I'm running the DS2500s in the rear.

When I first got on the road after installing them, I lightly stood on the brake while staying on the gas to heat them up a bit and then started the bedding-in process. This was at night and the first hard clamp sent sparks flying all over the place. INSANE. And really cool! I wish I had a video of it. Also a bit unnerving at first. I thought the pads were defective and I just shredded them to pieces. But after a few more stops the pads settled down with that craziness. First time I'd ever seen that happen.