View Single Post
      08-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #227
just-right
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Cast View Post
I hate to say it, but this seems to be the new norm with a lot of these parts manufacturers. You should ask them to refund the cost of correcting it, I did, and they met me half way on my CSL airbox. You have to remember these guys build race cars and sometimes the finished product does not matter as much as they are not as concerned with the aesthetics.

I would love to have one of these, but I don't have the patience to go through ordering, waiting and then fixing it after I get it. My local guys spend 70% of his time correcting these issues for customers who get defective CF parts.
I have to agree that is becoming a new yet unacceptable standard. There are a lot of companies that are not diligent with quality – short or long term. They tend to use the more affordable and readily accessible production methods in particular wet layup.

Wet layup although inferior in matrix to reinforcement ratio can give nice components. Quality control throughout the process to not contaminate the matrix (resin) is crucial though. Having hair and other particles in there is not good nor acceptable. It is also important that the resin and gelcoat are fit for purpose. It appears that under the ambient conditions of some of the customers the matrix is still curing and causing issues.

It sounds like some of you have been lucky and others haven’t. Small variations will always exist due to the manual nature of the manufacturing process. However the issues described is not tolerable. Varis use wet lay up for their components as well but spend a lot more time on quality and look great. You shouldn’t have to spend more money on getting this all fixed yourself unless that was made clear in advance. The Dutch have a saying “buying cheap is expensive.”

It might be worth checking the terms and conditions of the purchase. You might be eligible for a 30 day return. Good luck to those having issues
Appreciate 0