04-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Yapakanichi
Monkey Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Depends.

So what I know for sure, is ALL the BMW mirror bases made during the same period (2000-2008) have the same mechanical 120º twisting lock with spring inside. So any of the mirrors that came off of a 3, 5, or 7 series made during roughly that period (E46, E39, and E38) are interchangeable.

My memory is hazy, since we traded in our '03 Z4 3.0i for my MZ4 Coupe back in 2006, but I vaguely recall that I DID have a rear view mirror with garage door opener integrated. Before 2006's facelift, all the wiring exist near the interior cabin lighting to support multiple functions (dimming mirrors) so I swapped for a mirror from an E46 M3 with those features, and it was basically plug and play. It looked like one of these:

I don't recall, but I also vaguely remember that since the garage door opener wiring isn't present, that I had to do some simple splicing to get the garage door to work. This is actually a pretty comprehensive guide from an E46, which is like Z4's bigger, fatter cousin:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1097788

But, since it's been nearly 15 years since I first owned the Z4 3.0i, I can't remember if I did that...I'm 50/50 as to whether the garage door opener wiring already exist on the car, or the Z4 3.0i with premium package comes with the mirror already having garage door openers. All I know for sure is on my MZ4 Coupe I had to wire in a garage door opener from an E46 3 series on the roof. And I know for sure that for my '06 MZ4 Coupe, the wiring does not exist for the dimming function of the mirror (mine's none premium as ordered, so no auto dimming interior mirror).
This is the information I was looking for, thank you.
Appreciate 0