View Single Post
      03-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I want to because I love Laguna to death. Not to mention it's my home track, but the insane prices turned me off right from the get-go
Not to mention the annual membership fee

Thus far, NCRC (Nor Cal Racing Club) is THE most affordable, stress-free, and responsible track host I've had the pleasure of doing business with. Trackmasters comes second, just because they don't require annual membership like NASA does, but otherwise TM is about same as NASA in my books (EXPENSIIIIVE). The GG CCA chapter is even moreso
They (BMW CCA GGC) are expensive only because they provide instructors to EVERYONE. And by everyone I mean they'll even sic an instructor in your seat even if you're an experienced club racer with national titles under your belt.

Those instructors, even though they volunteer, still cost $$$ because their room and board is paid for.

Heck we even stuck an instructor in the passenger seat of TC Kline before. TC Kline. Granted it was his first time out at California Speedway and he just wanted someone to give him a quick run-down of the track. He was signed off to go solo for the rest of the weekend.

But those were the more extreme cases. Unless you just want laps without any instruction, the value of having an instructor in the passenger seat is unbeatable in my book, and CCA provides some of the best. I have had a Grand Am Rookie of the Year as my instructor, a Turner Motorsports driver as my instructor, and several "pro" level guys who races for Speed World Challenge as well, and the knowledge you can pick up from these guys are eye-opening.

IMO, short of paying for schools like Skip Barber the CCA schools are the BEST bang for the buck for anyone short of ready to go club racing. Compare the price and track time you do get between CCA schools and other organizations isn't entirely apples and oranges.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0