View Single Post
      02-16-2019, 02:54 PM   #15
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

If you want to mount the shifter 180° from what I have done it is possible, although it makes no difference to the function. However, you will need a custom length selector rod (shorter than OEM), if you want the shaft to be perfectly vertical.

Conversely, the way I have mounted the shifter, if I wanted the shaft it to be perfectly vertical, I would have needed a slightly longer selector rod than OEM. There is no way around this.

With the stock length selector rod, if you do mount the shifter the opposite way than I have, it will really lean too far backwards. Much further backwards than you most likely be happy with. Third gear will be where fourth gear currently is and it feels even more pronounced because the shaft of this shifter is much longer than stock.

Even pushing the shifter all the way forward until the shifter assembly cage hits the front of the console will not be enough.

Do some research and you will find almost all ultrashifters like this have the front console cut which looks bad to me. Save yourself a headache and a lot of mucking around unless you are into making custom length selector rods then, in that case, go right ahead and knock yourself out. The way I have done it is the easiest and best way for a clean factory fit.

This shifter is marketed with no cutting or drilling and that is correct in E30 | E36 | E39 | E46 | E60 | E8X | E9X models but the Z4 is different.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 1