RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Your alarm issue is likely the hood switch. It's on a bracket near the point where the two strut tower braces meet at the fire wall. It can cause a number of stupid alarm issue just like you described. I had same alarm issues such as seemed like it tried to arm but not quite, doors locked but alarm didn't arm, alarm randomly going off on its own for no reason, even when the car had just been sitting there for hours. The switch is dirt cheap and takes about 3 minutes to replace. They fail pretty frequently because they're not very ruggedly constructed and they're exposed to the engine compartment heat.
I'll look into that but could that be draining my battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Or you can just disconnect said switch , alarm will still work nicely.
I'll look for this switch when I get home from work, my car didn't start this morning even after charging the battery at Autozone yesterday for 10 hours, leaving it unplugged all night and finally hooking it up this morning - no go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
The dash lights are lit whenever the car is turned on - so this is normal.
Even if all lights coming from the headlights assembly are shut off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Ross, you say you got the car from your local BMW dealer in November 2016. I apologize if you've answered this before, but have you taken the car back to that dealer and insisted that they at least diagnose and ideally fix this for you?

If you've been taking the car to an independent, I agree that there are guys out there who are scary knowledgeable and skilled in fixing these cars. But sometimes the dealer, who has access to factory-trained technical repair staff and advice, and the full diagnostic equipment, may be the best choice.

By the way, there's no way I'd sell an M Roadster like yours - I'm confident the remaining issues can be fixed.
No worries thanks for helping me figure this thing out. You're right, I got it back in November '16 after it sat under the sunlight for 1.2 years. I had to file a lawsuit and that's how I was able to get them to fix it; by getting a settlement and taking my car elsewhere to get it repaired. The reason I never took it back is 1) I can't as this case has been settled and 2) I will never step foot in that place again due to this horrible experience. The guy I'm taking it to now, is the same guy that local BMW dealers here take it to when they can't figure out the problem. This guy has the same diagnostics computer that the dealer has. You know, I hate even thinking of selling my car. At 98,xxx miles and in the condition it's in, I wouldn't get much to buy another one so I'm leaving this as my last option.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0