01-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think for this function to work best is to have stiffer engine and gearbox mounts (like you already have).

The normal shift joint (ball joint) sits in a subbeam (shifting arm) connected between gearbox and chassis. That means that the oem shifter moves accordingly to engine/gearbox movement to keep the shift rod inline with the proper gear selections. This is also one of the reasons the OEM shift lever has so much slob. The rear bushing of the shift arm is a very soft bushing, probably for comfort/NVH. The movement in that bushing+movement/play in the ball joint is basically the total slob of the oem shift system. (upgrading that bushing is a simple/cheap way to reduce that slob partly)

By relating the shifter position to the chassis and not to the engine/gearbox (like the cae shifter), its best to minimize the gearbox movement.
I dont have irl experience with this problem but I could imagine when under high G's the engine could move so much with OEM mounts that it could get out of line for 3/4 shifting (so that the gearbox isnt aligned anymore with the 3/4 preset).
The oem mounts are very soft, especially the gearbox oem mounts (you can squeeze them with your fingers).
What you mention makes sense & Something that I definitely thought about.

Reading on the CAE site they claim
" • Problem-free shifting of gears under stress or in curves. "
which i thought to be a strange statement to make.

....when the say stress, maybe they're referring to the driver not the car.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 01-03-2017 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0