06-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #33
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
I have some updates on this setup, need some feedback as well.

Did a weekend PCA HPDE event in Pocono. Brakes for the most part performed very well, including the car (remember, I'm driving a 3.0si with the 2jZ swap pushing about 500whp). I was hitting 150-160 in the straights way to easily, and after a few sessions, started to get serious brake fade.

Only now did I realize I was running Stoptech Street pads, ( 308 series), which from reading, are the lowest end pad! Mistake on my part.

I'm going to work on cooling/ducting and going up to the next level of pad, which is the Sport pad. There are many to choose from, but going with experience from my brother who runs the same pads, was slowing down his 4000lb RS4 with no fade at all (same track, same event).

Those of you with track experience in the Z4M, do you feel proper cooling and updated pads should eliminate my fade issues while keeping the OEM brake setup? Or, is there a point where I will have to go BBK since the OEM brakes can't make the cut?

I'm also worried about my puny rear 294mmx19 rotors (vs the M's 328x20) not being up to snuff. I don't have any option to upgrade those unless I go full BBK it seems.
I had a ST40 kit and sold it because I felt the stock brakes plus track pads & hi temp fluids + cooling was enough to avoid fade. Without brake ducts I could probably still get by but would need to bleed more often.