View Single Post
      12-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Yesterday I worked on getting everything in the cabin finished up.

I decided on the Metra Dash kit. Honestly neither the Scosche or Metra is great, the Metra was the best of the two. The Scosche needed to have about 1/8" removed on each side to make it work. The Metra "appeared" to require less work but I found a couple of issues. First there are a couple of "fingers" inside the dash that support the stock radio. The Metra kit puts the new radio cage at such an angle that it collides with the fingers. No problem, 30 seconds with the oscillating tool and both fingers were shortened by about an inch, just enough to make it work. Secondly there is a small "nub" at the bottom of the radio opening that sticks up about 1/16" causing the cage to distort, it is aluminum. A quick hit with the die grinder and it was gone. After that it all went together nicely. During reassembly I did discover getting the door sills back in with the door seal is a PITA(ROYAL PITA). The rest of my time was spent getting everything cleaned up and ready in the trunk. I had a roll of B-Quiet so I decided to add a little in the trunk, not sure if it will help. Today I will finish the amp mount, and the crossover mount, and get everything finished up.

Radio installed:

Trunk:

Finished sub box:
Appreciate 0