View Single Post
      09-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #45
MNM240iXD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
The storm is turning north, and I assume that any cruise (except to the Bahamas) out of Miami is going south away from the storm.

Cruise lines are extremely hesitant to cancel cruises for financial reasons, so they will disembark outgoing passengers and embark incoming passengers as long as the ports are open and harbor pilots are working. Part of the terms of carriage in the passenger ticket contract lets them substitute ports for any reason, so 3-4 day cruises to the Bahamas may find themselves going to St. Thomas, Haiti, and/or Key West if port dock/tender slots are available.

I was on a cruise out of NYC in January one year. The crew had the barf bags in all stairways and public areas as we boarded, and the captain made an announcement before we even left the pier that we would be sailing into a strong nor'easter with (near-hurricane) 65-70 MPH winds and 28 foot seas within two hours of leaving the harbor in case anyone wanted off.

I actually sailed on this very ship a few years before these pictures were taken:

Glad I was not on that trip!
Appreciate 1
David0ff1059.00