Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
test test  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Having slowing evolved the car to be more track and less street, I have started running into a wall the last year and a half trying to decide on a good seat and roll bar/harness bar setup. I just cannot find something that will work well on track as well as give me comfort to drive to and from tracks (some tracks like Road Atlanta are 850miles one way, VIR is 550 mi, the Glen is 260 mi etc) and still retain the complete trunk. I wish I was a bit shorter, not that I am too tall at around 6'.

Spoke to HMS Motorsport at the Glen last weekend and they summed it up for me. They have built 2 custom roll bars and set setups in Z4s and said that while their customers loved the workmanship, they started to not like the car as much anymore. He said if I enjoy DEs and like the car, I should just keep it stock inside and have fun; if I want to go to the next step with seats, bar, harnesses and HANS, then I should consider getting an e46 M3 or an e36 M3.

Having instructed a few students in e92 M3s, I don't have a strong desire for that car anymore (I was planning on getting one as my next car a couple of years ago) just because it does not feel nimble and sprightly as the Z4MC. We'll see what the future brings but for now the Z4MC stays stock inside and I will keep DE'ing it as-is because the more I learn to drive this car closer to the limit, the more fun it becomes. It still challenges me every time I get behind the wheel at a race track.
That is strange that the guys at HMS said this, as I am one of the people that had a half cage installed with HMS involved (they actually did not install the cage, a person they recommended did, and they put in the Cobra seats) I actually like the car MUCH more than before the seats and half cage were installed. Car dropped abt 100lbs (taking into account the weight of the cage), I'm not sliding around in the seat, can use a HANS device and feel much more secure...BTW I am 6'2" and fit just fine WITH my helmet
Appreciate 0