View Single Post
      02-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
"Auto-X/Track" - while they sound like they have the same requirements, can be different. I've autocrossed for many years, but have driven at the track once. Here are some differences from my autocrosser's perspective:
  • When you have a 40-50sec autocross run say every 15 minutes or so, your tires/brakes cool off. The preferred tires for autocross versus track will be different whether they are R or non-R compounds. You want autocross tires to heat up quickly. For a 20 minute track session your car is both hotter and for longer periods.
  • You can make your car and driver pointier car in a safe autocross environment with usually minimal consequences if something goes fairly wrong.
  • The job your suspension performs is also different, see bullet #7 in Tunnell's post. If you're not sure what Bob means by "out of phase", ride with a local hot shoe and watch his hands during a slalom - it will seem that (s)he's turning ridiculously early.
That said, for autocross, my factory E36 M brakes have been fine for my minimal setup (suspension, no motor mods) and I would expect the same for my E86 (only autocrossed once so far). If I drove enough track, I would look into something else.
I realize they are 2 complete things. I'm trying to find a happy medium though, if that makes sense.

I've had my fair share of spins in auto-x from trying to shave time, of course there wasn't sand right next to me, so that helped (well one time there was a curb, but that involved me going sideways through the finish cones, plowing 5 DNF cones...but that was wet anyways).

I will running RS3s, once again it looks like a happy medium. May take 2 runs to get to temp, we'll see. Once I can get tires to temp, I have no problem keeping them there inbetween runs.

There have been a couple times auto-x where I feel like where I should have more brake. Of course that's me being picky.

Here is one of my latest runs, not the greatest thing...but I know what you mean by turning in early:

Appreciate 0