View Single Post
      01-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #6
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

THE SCOOP

I started this quest, thinking I would go along with the fad of a headlight intake. You know what I'm talking about. Cut into that high beam, throw in a tube of sorts and direct air to the airbox. So after taking off the headlight and bumper I realize that there's already a perfectly good intake RIGHT BEHIND the kidney grill that ducts (fairly smoothly) directly into the airbox.

So low and behold I start looking at scoops. RPI, eBay, Eventuri....I looked em all up. With varying price and availability. I really wanted the DINAN scoop as shown here (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1327656) but Dinan broke the mold and doesn't make that piece anymore. I called all sorts of dealers all over North America, chasing down spare parts with no luck.

Fast forward to my current project. Custom canards for the front bumper...which I still haven't decided if I'm finished or even going to finish. The amount of black snot in my nose even with a mask put fear in me about the condition of my lungs after cutting carbon fibre plate. There has been one advantage...I have carbon fibre laying around! Not a bad problem.

So I looked at the opening and though....BILL O'REILLY "F**K IT" WE'RE DOING IT LIVE!!!!

This is the intake air inlet...

This is a former pizza box...

This is fresh cut carbon fibre...

This is the finished product...that for me does the trick!

So yea, that was a bit of a home made solution. Plus carbon fibre right? In hindsight I would have used a bigger section...but at least this way I'm not completely blocking the radiator!

Last edited by 3GFX; 01-20-2017 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0