Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexhittinbull View Post
Thanks so much for sharing, Salty NC.
Confirmed the loosening cam bolts now.
your compartment removal is very well written as well.

But wow, the pre-purchase inspection cost was $149..
I wonder how dealers check for vanos operations and if this mechanic had any knowledge or experience I could have saved money.
Glad to be of assistance. If the car was warm when the tech did the PPI, it would be tough for them to identify the VANOS by listening to it. They would have to remove the valve cover, and I don't think that is normally done on a PPI. It seems like VANOS work is required eventually on most of the S54's, so it more than likely would have eventually had to have been addressed regardless.

When we did the VANOS on my S54, we did everything. We replaced all seals, we replaced the oil pump disk with the smaller holes, replaced the bolts and used Loctite, installed anti-rattle kit, and used the "springs" from the S65 engine, and swapped the VANOS solenoid with one that Beisan epoxies to reduce solder failures. Now, I don't worry about the VANOS at all, and the car was much smoother and more powerful after the upgrade. I had an RPM dip when I would crank it in the morning so much that I learned to give it a little extra throttle to keep the RPMs up. That went away completely after the VANOS upgrade.

Good luck with your VANOS repair.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
Finnegan703.00