ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Thanks for sharing this! Good stuff!

Just to be clear, I can be thick at times, you think the stock selector rod would work well enough w/o the AKG hassles?
The stock SSSR would have been fine. When you take it out and play with it you can feel how rigid and strong it is. It is also very lightweight too because it is made from thick gauge tubular steel.

All you are getting with an overpriced DSSR (apart from lightening your wallet by $150.00, not being on the correct alignment angle and giving you a lot of work to make it fit!) is a clevis style retaining pin connector on each end instead of the stock retaining pin setup which is permanently welded to each end of the selector rod. They both do exactly the same thing and I feel ripped off from having bought one and getting sucked into all the marketing hype surrounding DSSR's. Maybe other vehicles have much weaker OEM selector rods and you need to upgrade them but my opinion after having played around with both is that our stock selector rod is already very good and more than up to the task. It is the shifter that makes the difference in play and slop from my testing, not the selector rod

You have to remember that the many who do install DSSR's and report on the major differences in tightness, slop and excess free lateral play are installing some form of SSK at the same time. How much the SSK contributes to fixing these issues compared to the DSSR is questionable. I know when I installed this shifter and swapped between both selector rods to feel the 'difference' I was sorely disappointed. After I had spent all that money, time and effort making the AKG DSSR fit I really tried to feel any improvement there was even if I had to try and imagine it. Needless to say I cannot honestly recommend this DSSR (upgrade?) mod to anyone. Maybe with a different or stock shifter it would have been different, I don't know but with this RTD locking shifter everything is already so solid, swapping between the two selector rods I would not have done it again.

Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 4
Finnegan701.00
StickMon636.00
TRiCC264.50